Changes made for the Driving Test and the re-opening of Driving Test Centres – COVID19
So after nearly four months since closure, Driving Test Centres in the UK reopened their doors today, 22nd July 2020. Prior to today they had only been facilitating tests for key workers during the lockdown phase of the pandemic.
Whilst many of you await an invitation to re-book your cancelled driving test, others are eagerly waiting for the online booking system to reopen so they may too mark a date in their diaries for their practical tests.
So, what is going on behind closed doors?
From the 15th July 2020 the DVSA started the pain staking process of inviting all students who had a test cancelled due to the pandemic to go back online and book a test.
Candidates will be invited in batches and in the order that their original test was cancelled. This process is expected to last for several weeks and invites will be sent to the email address provided at the time of booking. All candidates awaiting an invite should check both your inbox and spam mail folders, regularly! Once you have received your email, please follow the instructions given and use the booking link provided. You will then be able to select a date and slot that best suits you. HOWEVER, please remember to contact your instructor before confirming a booking to make sure that they are not double booked.
Lastly, please do not call customer services whilst waiting for your email, as they will not be able to assist you with any booking enquiries.
It is rumoured that when the re-booking process has been completed in its entirety, the online booking system will then be opened for new bookings.
The Process for Test Day.
- Your Instructor will ensure the inside of the vehicle is thoroughly cleaned prior to your test. The examiner will also wipe down anything that they touch in the vehicle during your Driving Test.
- You will arrive at the test centre no more than FIVE minutes before your test time. All waiting areas inside the centre remain closed, however use of the toilet will be allowed on a request basis.
- All Candidates must wear a face covering during the test, unless they have good reason not to. If you are unable to wear a face covering, you must declare this reason to the DVSA at the time of booking.
- You MUST NOT attend your Driving Test if:
- You or someone you live with has COVID 19 symptoms
- You have been informed you have been in contact with someone that has COVID 19
- You have returned to the UK in the last 14 days unless you have travelled from certain countries. A full up to date list of countries where self-isolating is NOT required can be found on the .gov website.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IF YOU WAS TO MAKE A SERIOUS OR DANGEROUS DRIVING FAULT DURING THE TEST ITSELF, THE EXAMINER WILL IMMEDIATELY DIRECT YOU BACK TO THE TEST CENTRE, AT WHICH POINT THE TEST WOULD END.
THIS IS TO MINIMISE THE AMOUNT OF TIME AN EXAMINER NEEDS TO SPEND INSIDE THE VEHICLE.
Should you have any further questions relating to the booking of and the test itself, please do not hesitate to contact your Instructor directly.